The XBEE PRIMER Shield demonstration program requires the following setup on the base system
- EVOPRIMER: a version with STM32F103VET6 processor or similar
- XBEE PRIMER Shield carrying an XBEE module connected to the EVOPRIMER extension connector
- XBEE PRIMER Shield demonstration software installed
An XBEE module as the target for wireless communication, e.g.
- XBEE module mounted on a USB shield, and controlled using Digi’s X-CTU software on a host system, or
- A second EVOPRIMER with XBEE PRIMER Shield extension
The software is optimized for XBEE module type XB24-A and XBP24-A modules, and similar devices. Both modules must have factory default setting.
After compiling and downloading XBPS code to EVOPRIMER, the code executes the following program steps
- Initialize USART, and XBEE related GPIO pins
- Reset XBEE local module to factory default values
- Read the primary registers of the XBEE module, and show these on the LCD
- Enter terminal mode, in which the module transmits a sequence of characters every 10 seconds
Running X-CTU on the target host system, the ‘Terminal’ feature can be used to
- View incoming message from the EVOPRIMER XBEE PRIMER Shield: every 10 seconds a string of characters is transmitted
- Send characters to the EVOPRIMER by typing inside the X-CTU terminal window, which will then display on the EVOPRIMER